In 1976, Nestle introduced Nespresso in Switzerland, and while it did initially take a while to catch on, it soon became pretty famous in the market in Switzerland. This was followed by Nespresso making itself available in the French and American markets by the year of 1991. Even today, Nespresso is one of the leading products when it comes to making Coffee and Espresso and is one that a lot of people seem to really love!
However, it is interesting to note that these days Nespresso offers you with two choices: The Originaline and the Vertuoline machines.
The Originaline are the classic products including popular models like the Nespresso Pixie by De’Longhi while the Vertuoline is a comparatively new set of espresso machines that have been introduced by Nespresso starting in 2014. One of the best rated Vertoline machines right now is the Vertuo Coffee and Espresso Machine by Breville.
What are the differences, you ask? Well that’s exactly what we are going to take a look at in today’s article. We are going to compare these the Original line and the Vertuoline machines and capsules and find out which one is the better choice and why.
We hope that you would read the article till the very end because we hope to make it informative enough for you to understand the main differences between the two so that you can choose the right model for yourself!
What are the Differences Between Nespresso Vertuoline and Original line?
The Nespresso Vertuoline, as we just mentioned, was introduced in 2014. Prior to this, all the models were from the Original line. However, you might wonder what made Nestle introduce yet another kind of product despite the fact that the ones already existing in the market were doing pretty well.
And that makes it even more important to consider the main differences between the two, which might be summed up as follows:
- Different Sizes: The first thing to consider here is the difference in sizes of the models, while the Original line products are comparatively smaller, the Vertuoline products are a little larger, pretty much the size of a Keurig.
- Nespresso Capsule: One of the major differences between the two lines in the difference of the capsules. These two capsules are entirely different and it’s easily visible to everyone at the first glance. The newer capsules are intend to be more efficient than the earlier ones. Some people also speculate that these are also
designed in this way so that it’s harder for you to use non-licensed ones. This is one of those differences that not only have a lot of impact but are also a lot more visible.
- Extraction Technology and Pressure: The Original line products used hot water coupled with a pump to exert a pressure of up to 19 bars. However, the Vertuoline uses the centrifusion extraction technology and relies on gravity instead of using a pump. Naturally, this means that the Original line displays a higher extraction temperature than the Vertuoline.
- Serving Temperature: The temperature of the coffee/espresso prepared is also really different in these two cases. While the Original line uses hot water and thus gives you your drink at a higher temperature, the Vertuoline only makes it lukewarm, making a lot of people prefer Original line more.
- Serving Size: The serving size of the two models is also pretty different. While the Original line has a serving size of about 3.70 oz maximum in case of a Lungo, the vertuoline allows you to brew a full cup of coffee which stands somewhere around 17 ounces.
- Vertuoline allows you to make coffee: Yes, you heard me right. The Vertuoline allows you to make coffee while the Original line does not let you prepare coffee This is one of the main things that make most people go for the Vertuoline. However, before you rush in to buy an awesome model from the vertuoline such as the Breville Vertuo, please read on!
- Capsule Scanning/Barcode Reading: One of the things that sets the Vertuoline apart from the Original line machines is the new added feature of Barcode scanning. IOT scans the barcode on the capsule to prepare it the way it’s really supposed to be prepared. However, this does make it less functional for you that it would have been in case of an Original line machine, which does not offer you this. So, we can easily conclude that, while advanced for sure, it is not necessarily a better thing in all cases.
- Long Coffee, a Vertuoline Specialization: This is one of the better aspects of the vertuoline, it allows you to prepare a long coffee with ease. This is one of those things that the Original line does not provide you with. So, if you’re looking to prepare Long Coffee, the Vertuoline seems to be the ideal choice for you.
- Availability of Options: The Original line has been around for a considerably longer period of time and uses more traditional methods. Naturally, it has a lot more options available out there. There are a lot of third party products available out there as well which you cannot find in case of the Vertuoline. So, if you’re keep on trying out new blends, combinations and flavors, then the Original line might just be the right choice in this case.
- Economic Aspect: The Original line models have the lead in this case. While not super cheap, these models are still a lot more affordable than the Vertuoline models. In fact, even the average cost for the capsules is much cheaper when it comes to the Original line products. This gives it a huge advantage because there are a lot of people like me who pay a lot of attention to the economic aspect.
- Customer Reviews: Most of the people who have had the chance to use both of these believe that the Vertuoline makes coffee that feels like it has been underextracted, and since the temperature is considerably lower than that of the Original line, -something coffee drinkers aren’t really a fan of- most of the people just believe that sticking to the Original line would be the better option here.
What is the better choice here?
From the way it seems, the Original line offers you quite a lot of things at a really affordable price. In fact, while the Vertuoline does provide you with newer technology, these things just seem to downgrade the taste of coffee for us, since we are already used to a conventional taste.
If you’re planning to go for an Original line product, don’t forget to check out our reviews on The Nespresso Essenza Mini Espresso Machine by Breville and The Nespresso Inissia Espresso Machine by De’Longhi.
However, if you are looking for a larger size per serving, you might still want to consider the Vertuoline. This is because you would have to go through the hassle of preparing the same thing a lot of times just to get a larger quantity of it. You might also want to consider the vertuoline because only the vertuoline can make coffee for you.
If you’re planning to go for the Vertuoline, check out our review on the Nespresso Vertuo Coffee and Espresso Machine by Breville.
Gamble Bay Coffee is here for you!
And finally, don’t forget that we are here for you! We hope that you liked this article and we promise to be back with more articles such as this one! We hope to see you again on our next article, till then, have a great day!
Please follow us because we are loving this new way to reach our customers!
Gamble Bay Coffee